Animal shelter volunteer, sports photographer, and head of lending services at RC: Hany Hosny

by roanokecollege on September 13, 2013

You’ve probably seen them around. You may have even talked to one of them. But do you really think you know them and what they can do for you at Roanoke?

We’re talking about Roanoke College staff, of course.

This semester, we will be profiling staff from across campus who are here to help you. Up first: Hany Hosny, one of our friendly Fintel librarians.

Hany Hosny

1. Hi Hany. Please tell us a little bit about yourself. 

I’m Hany Hosny, head of lending services at Fintel Library. I’ve been a librarian for sixteen years, ten of which has been spent here at Roanoke College. Before coming to RC, I worked as a children’s librarian at two public libraries in the Midwest.

My BA is from the University of Toronto and my MLS is from Catholic University in D.C.

2. What is your specialty? 

I’m a liaison to (1) psychology, (2) sociology, and (3) modern languages. I’m especially well versed with Fintel Library resources that fall under these fields of study, but I can still help with other fields of study. If I run up against a wall when helping someone do research, I’ll occasionally involve Piper Cumbo, who is our lead reference librarian.

3. What advice do you have for students using the library to conduct research (for classes or otherwise)?

Two suggestions. The first is to understand that the shortest path to finding what you need is found in just asking for help at the reference desk. Most students are under the impression that they know all there is to know about the resources that they have access to, but in most cases, they shortchange themselves by making do without the benefit of all that is available to them. The second suggestion is to not wait until the day before the paper is due to ask for help, because that, too, limits access to resources that can help make your research stand out from everyone else’s work.

4. Why did you decide to become a librarian? 

One day when I was living up in Arlington, Virginia, I decided that I would rent an apartment that is across the street from the public library. I ended up spending a lot of time at that library and I made friends with some of the librarians there. I started to appreciate library culture and began looking into doing my master’s in library science. A few months after applying to library school at Catholic University, I was accepted. Because I was motivated and interested in what I was studying, my grades were ten times better than they were as an undergrad;  the whole experience was pretty much a breeze.

5. What do you do when you’re not at work?

I’m a husband, a father of two, a soccer coach, an animal lover, an animal shelter volunteer, a sports photographer, and I try to play soccer 3-4 times a week.

If you’d like to know more, you can usually find Hany at the lending services desk. He loves working with students and can be contacted by email at hosny@roanoke.edu.

Previous post:

Next post: